Freedom Square (Náměstí Svobody) is the largest of Brno's squares. Until 1945 it was called the "Lower Market". The area arose in the XIII century. Palaces along its perimeter were built by noble and wealthy citizens. The initial appearance of these buildings has not been preserved - at the turn of the XIX - XX centuries, most of them were rebuilt in the Neo-Renaissance style.
Until 1869, the church of St. Mikulas stood here (XIII century). She survived the Swedish siege (at that time the hospital was located in the temple). It was later torn down to make room. After the demolition under the temple, the tombs of two priests were discovered. Now, from the old temple there are only the outlines of the foundation, laid out with paving stones, and a bronze memorial plate. In 2000, underground tunnels and labyrinths were discovered under the area.
The oldest square of the city has a triangular shape, it is surrounded by ancient Renaissance buildings. Freedom Square is full of restaurants and night clubs, shops and souvenir shops. All the main city events are held here: Christmas markets, New Year's Eve, folk holidays and festivals.
The oldest square of the city has a triangular shape, it is surrounded by ancient Renaissance buildings. There are many restaurants and night clubs, shops and souvenir shops on Freedom Square. All the main city events are held here: Christmas markets, New Year's Eve, folk holidays and festivals.
In the center of Náměstí Svobody stands a remarkable Baroque building - the Plague Column (Morový sloup) or the Marian Plague Column (Mariánský morový sloup). The column was installed as a symbol of the liberation of Brno from the siege by the Swedish army in 1648. At the top of the monument is the statue of the Virgin Mary with the Divine Child, the four corners of the stone pedestal are decorated with statues of saints. Such columns were placed in other cities. They served as thanksgiving to the Lord for deliverance from the plague of infection or for victory in battles. Both the plague epidemic and the attacks of the Swedes threatened the inhabitants of Brno more than once and were successfully stopped.
House of gentlemen from Lipe
The house of the gentlemen from Lipe (Dům pánů z Lipé) was rebuilt from an old Gothic building in 1596 by the Italian architect Antonio Gabri. It belonged to a wealthy wine merchant - Krishtof Schwanze from Retz, then - to Zhenek from Lipe. The sculptural decoration of the building was made by another Italian master - Giorgio Gialdi. The owner of the house in 1646-83. was the famous military leader Louis Radu de Suchet - who led the army during the defense of Brno. At the end of the XIX century, the facade of the building was reconstructed in the Neo-Renaissance style, common to all buildings of Freedom Square. Today, the box office and a large shopping arcade are located in this house.
House "At Four Doodles"
The house “At the Four Dummies” (Dům u čtyř mamlasů) was built in 1902 according to the project of Germano Vanderli. The four figures of the huge Atlanteans on the facade of this building, the work of the sculptor A. Tomola, were called by the townspeople “Mamlas” (which means “blockheads”). Atlanteans with a strange fierce expression of stone faces support the balcony of the third floor. This house now has shops and exchange offices. On the ground floor there is a traditional pastry shop with local goodies.
The Omega Building (Budova Omega) is an example of modern architecture. It is connected by internal walkways to the neighboring buildings of the square. A huge department store of bluish opal glass stands out against the background of old houses with its alien appearance in the high-tech style. The interior of Omega is characterized by an abundance of glass elements. Transparent balustrades and glass inserts in floor ceilings and interior walls, combined with huge windows create a feeling of unlimited space.
Not far from Omega there is a beautiful fountain, which also has a very modern look. It is surrounded by metal circles with lines carved on the surface from the verses of Jan Skatzel.
Klein Palace (Kleinův palác) - an unusual building, built in the middle of the XIX century. This house was both luxurious and comfortable at the same time; innovative engineering communications were arranged in it: heating and ventilation, flush toilets, stairs with electric lighting and underground stables. The architecture of the palace was also distinguished by originality - a cast-iron decor was used to decorate the facade. Window frames and bay windows of the two lower floors were made of open cast iron. The owners of the building - the Klein family - owned machine-building and metallurgical plants, were engaged in business related to mines, as well as landscaping and landscaping of the city. In 1997, this palace was again restored, but it was never used for tourism purposes.
The modern architecture on the square is represented by an interesting design - this is an unusual Brno Eagle watch, which cost the city 12 million crowns. Determining the time on them is very problematic. The watch pushes a glass bullet out of itself every day at 11 o’clock. At this time, tourists gather around them, because anyone can pick up a captured sleeve for memory.
Photo and description
Freedom Square is considered one of the central and most spacious squares in the old Brno district. It was founded in the 13th century and used to be called the Lower Market. Along its perimeter, the most respected Brno citizens built their palaces and mansions. Unfortunately, not one of those buildings has survived to this day in its original form. All of them underwent reconstruction, during which the facades were updated, and the appearance completely changed. Some of them were combined into one complex, others were destroyed. The fate of the latter befell the ancient cathedral of St. Nicholas, which until 1870 adorned the square and received parishioners. Now, instead of the majestic temple, you can see a tram stop. During the repair, several tombs and an underground labyrinth were discovered at the site of the destroyed temple. Tourists can understand where the cathedral stood, focusing on its outline on the pavement.
The square is decorated with a plague pillar, which was usually erected in gratitude to the heavenly patrons for protection from the plague epidemic. However, it is this sculptural composition dedicated to the victory over the Swedes.
Freedom Square is a place in the old city where life is in full swing. It is crowded at any time of the day: in the morning mothers walk their children, in the afternoon important matrons visit shops, in the evening young people sit on benches and drink beer in bars, electronic music comes from night clubs. Christmas and Easter fairs are held here, the most beautiful tree and a nativity scene under it are set up.
Local guides recommend tourists to visit the gloomy House of gentlemen from Lipe, decorated with skillful murals, and the House of the Four Doodles, so named because its vaults are supported by four Atlanteans with rather silly faces.