History of Yalta - an eternal rival Sochi in a dispute over the title of the resort capital of Russia, goes back centuries. It is known that in the third millennium BC. e. within the limits of the present agglomeration, the Tauri tribes lived. Then the blessed lands attracted the Greek colonists, who are considered to be the founders of the settlement, which gave rise to the modern policy. Over the next centuries, Yalta, like the entire South Coast, which belonged to the Venetians, Genoese, Ottoman Turks, and then the Russian Empire, continued to remain an unremarkable seaside village. Everything changed in the first third of the XIX century. Count M. Vorontsov, then appointed Governor of the Novorossiysk Lands, took up the matter with enthusiasm. He laid the foundation for the active development of the entire southern coast of the peninsula. Luxurious palaces were erected here, magnificent parks were broken up, and transport infrastructure was created. The center of the coastal province of Vorontsov decided to make Yalta, located on the banks of a convenient bay. After the end of the Crimean War, a new stage began in the life of a small town, which over the next decades became the favorite place for summer vacations of royalty, nobles, intellectual, financial elite of the empire. With the advent of Soviet power, Yalta has become a public health resort, annually receiving hundreds of thousands of vacationers. Today the city is the center of a huge resort cluster. The territory of Big Yalta, which swallowed Alupka and several nearby villages, extends 70 km along the southern coast of Crimea.
- Schedule: daily, from May to October inclusive from 10:00 to 19:00, the rest of the time from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Ticket price: adult 200 p., Preferential 100 p.
- Phone: +7 978 004-91-22.
- Website: https: // castle- swallows- nest.rf
- Address: Alupkinskoye highway, 9A. Stop transport "Swallow's Nest."
The main visiting card of Crimea is decorated with the picturesque cape Ai-Todor, crashing into the Black Sea near Gaspra. Here, on the very edge of the cliff Aurorina cliffs, an elegant castle has settled down - a masterpiece of architectural Gothic. The creation of the remarkable sculptor L. Sherwood cannot be watched without aspiration. Peaked spiers, turrets, walls of an elegant mini-citadel seem to float over a 40-meter abyss. It is terrible to even think that an incomparable architectural masterpiece could be lost. Meanwhile, the great Crimean earthquake of 1927 caused serious damage to the rocky base, as a result of which the castle almost collapsed into the sea. Fortunately, the main architectural attraction of the peninsula was saved. In the late 70s of the last century, builders performed a real miracle. They were able to get a base plate of reinforced concrete under the building, without disassembling the structure. Thanks to the filigree work of the masters, the Yalta residents, as well as numerous vacationers, today admire the unique creation of architects.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 400 rubles, preferential 250 rubles.
- Phone: +7 365 431-55-81.
- Website: http: //livadian-dvorets.rf
- Address: st. Baturin, 44A. Bus stop "Sanatorium Border Guard" or "Livadia Palace".
The brilliant palace complex in Livadia attracts tourists not only as an interesting museum or a masterpiece of architecture. Mention of him can be found on the tablets of the history of Mankind. Under the canopy of the palace in the winter of 1945 I. Stalin, FT. Roosevelt and W. Churchill outlined the contours of post-war Europe, establishing the order by which the world has lived without a global war for almost 75 years. Initially, the palace was erected as the summer residence of the reigning Romanov dynasty. The architect N.P. Krasnov. It is interesting that the current White Palace was built from materials dismantled in 1910 by the Grand Palace, erected earlier at the behest of Alexander II. The construction really looks luxurious. A very voluminous building, in the decor of the facade of which Moorish motifs are read, seems almost weightless. The architectural ensemble, in addition to the main building, includes the Fredericks Palace, the Suite of the Corps, the Holy Cross Cathedral. The architectural and landscape composition is completed by a magnificent park.
Nikitsky Botanical Garden
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00 in the summer, from 9:00 to 16:00 in the winter.
- Ticket price: adult 300 rubles, children's 150 rubles.
- Phone: +7 365 425-05-30.
- Website: http://nikitasad.ru
- Address: town of Nikita. Stop of transport “Lower gate of NBS” or “Upper gate of NBS”.
Visitors to the magnificent botanical garden, rightfully considered the top attraction of Yalta, will have a fascinating journey into the colorful kingdom of Flora. There is something to see here! Upper and Lower parks amaze with the graceful impeccability of landscape-floral compositions. In the Garden of Eden, for example, plants are collected that alternately bloom throughout the year. The arboretum delights with the variety of shrubs and trees collected from around the world. Here, an alley of luxurious palm trees is adjacent to groves of cork oaks, black bamboos, plane trees, cypress trees. Romantics can dream in the shade of a 1000-year-old olive tree, and pragmatists can take pictures by the iron ginkgo in the outlandish cactus greenhouse of Arboretum Park, near the pool with tender lotuses. Fans of natural sciences will undoubtedly be impressed by the expositions of the Nikitsky Garden Museum and the magnificent greenhouse, where tropical butterflies flutter among orchids.
- Stops of transport "Yalta" or "Colonnade"
Embankment them. Lenin, “dressed” in light gray porphyrite and red granite, has long been the hallmark of the main Crimean resort. Images of the promenade, framed by slender rows of palm trees - lush in the summer and covered with fancy snow caps in the winter, adorn the pages of any advertising booklet dedicated to Yalta. Numerous cafes, various entertainment facilities, marinas for pleasure boats are located along the promenade. Slowly moving along the promenade, tourists admire the landmark city sights - the Apelsin triera restaurant, the 500-year-old sycamore Aisidora Duncan, the historical building of the Tavrida Hotel, and all kinds of art objects. Yalta embankment left a mark in Russian culture. It was here that the main character of Chekhov’s “Ladies with a Dog” defiled, and later the characters of the cult perestroika film “Assa” walked.
Palace of Alexander III in Massandra
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 18:00, on Saturdays from 9:00 to 20:00.
- Ticket price: adult 350 p., Student 200 p., Children's 70 p.
- Phone: + 7 978 123-10-80.
- Website: http://worontsovpalace.org/massandrovskij-dvorec
- Address: Simferopol highway, 13. Stop of transport "Upper Massandra Park".
Travelers who want to personally make sure that Yalta is called Russian Nice with good reason is enough to visit Massandra. Here you can admire the magnificent creation of the architect M. Messmacher, who, by the will of Alexander III, turned the unfinished princely palace of the Vorontsovs into a magnificent castle. The architectural features characteristic of the romantic era of the reign of Louis XIII of Bourbon, sung in the works of A. Dumas the father, are easily guessed in the forms and decor of the building. The reconstruction of the palace, which lasted about 10 years, cost the Russian emperor 85 thousand gold rubles. Time has shown that the money was not spent in vain. The architectural-park complex created by the efforts of the subjects fully corresponded to the grandeur of the autocracy. In the Soviet era, the palace was first owned by the spa department, then the Institute of Winemaking and Viticulture. He was later turned into a summer residence for the party elite. Today the building is managed by the Administrative Department of the President of the Russian Federation. In the halls of the palace there is an exposition telling about the stay of Alexander III in Massandra.
Palace of the Emir of Bukhara
- Address: intersection of Sechenov and Volodarsky streets. Stop transport "Colonnade."
In the pre-revolutionary era, Yalta became a favorite vacation spot of the elite of tsarist Russia. Luxurious residences were erected in the city for the most august persons of the imperial house, the highest nobles. Even the ruler of Bukhara, Seyid Abdulakhad Khan, could not resist the charm of the South Coast. By his order, at the end of the first decade of the last century, the architect N. Tarasov erected a magnificent complex of four buildings. Emir did not skimp on expenses. Stone for construction, for example, was delivered from Kerch. The interiors of the Neo-Moorish castle delighted contemporaries. Unfortunately, only one structure has survived to this day - but what a! The refined porticoes, gazebos, balustrades of the Dilkiso Palace seem to be waking illustrations for 1000 and One Nights. Today, guests of the Yalta sanatorium are resting in the former residence of the Bukhara Emir.
- Address: Potemkinsky Lane, 4. Stop Botkinskaya Street.
The main architectural attraction of the city Embankment, many are inclined to consider the delightful bathhouse building, erected in 1897 by order of the wealthy merchant A. Roffe. The mansion immediately attracts attention. The portal of the main entrance, taken out for the main volume, looks especially colorful. This part of the structure evokes thoughts of the famous Taj Mahal. The white marble facade here is covered with ornate Arabic script and carving, no less elegant than in the mausoleum of the wife of the Indian Raja. Baths, the bathtubs of which were beautifully commented by I. Bunin, F. Chaliapin, A. Chekhov, were a favorite vacation spot of the pre-revolutionary aristocracy. It is impossible not to say that Yalta almost lost its colorful architectural monument. Only by miracle, the building, which was demolished, was able to defend at the end of the 80s of the past century.
Monument A.S. Pushkin
- Address: Pushkinskaya street. Bus stop "Botkinskaya Street".
The bronze sculpture of the ingenious Russian poet appeared in Yalta in 2010. The grand opening of the sculptural composition created in Simferopol V. Gordeev, the city authorities scheduled for February 10, when actions are held throughout the country as part of the Day of Remembrance of the Classic of Russian Literature. Yalta Pushkin is romantic. He stands, leaning back on the bronze railing and, it seems, is about to utter unforgettable stanzas of a poem dedicated to the Crimea, where the poet did not leave inspiration:
And where the myrtle rustles over the fallen urn
I will see again through the dark forests
And the vaults of rocks, and the sea shine azure
And heaven clear as joy?
- Address: coastal zone at the southern tip of Yalta. Stop transport "Colonnade."
The inclusion in the section of the park will not be surprising if you consider that on its territory there are several iconic man-made sights of Yalta. The central entrance to the recreation is decorated with an incomparable colonnade connecting two graceful porticoes. Stairs descend from them to the park, also framed by pillars of the Corinthian order.
Stone steps of flights lead to a small area with a fountain. Immediately after him, tourists will see a monument to the amazing writer A.P. Chekhov. The bronze sculpture of the author of “Ladies with a Dog” and “The Cherry Orchard” is set on a diorite pedestal. The grand opening of the monument took place a year before the half-century anniversary of the death of Anton Pavlovich.
Directly in front of the park stands a monument to another classic of Russian and Soviet literature. The statue of the writer M. Gorky, cast in bronze, is set on a massive granite stylobate. The total height of the monument, installed in 1956, is 8.5 m.
The main natural attraction of the park is considered to be an elegant palm alley crossing the recreation. Visitors strolling under the crowns of subtropical trees, from early spring to late autumn, enjoy the fragrance of roses blooming on numerous curtains.
- Address: pier Yalta Bay. Stop transport "clothing market."
By the end of the XIX century. Yalta has become an elite Black Sea resort, as a result of which the load on the city harbor has increased markedly. The existing navigation infrastructure could no longer ensure the safety of navigation, especially at night. In addition, the capes of the bay did not adequately protect the water area from severe storms. Solved the problem of A. Bertier-Delagard. According to the project of a famous engineer and archaeologist, a 17-meter reinforced concrete tower with signal lights was erected, a pier was built. Yalta lighthouse survived the Crimean earthquake, bombing, artillery shelling during the Second World War. After the reconstruction, completed in 1957, he continues to fulfill his functions. At the base of the lighthouse, an old cannon was installed, which informed the townspeople in one gulp about the onset of 12:00. The current leadership of the Yalta port intends to resume the tradition of midday shots. Now the necessary permissions are being drawn up.
Mansion of A. Spendiarov
- Address: st. Catherine, 3. Stop transport "Partizanskaya Street."
A colorful villa, also known as a “house with caryatids,” is one of the most picturesque buildings in Yalta. It is believed that the prototype of the mansion was one of the structures of ancient Pompeii, destroyed by the eruption of Vesuvius. Indeed, the porticoes of the villa are very similar to antique counterparts. The roof of the second floor of the rendered portal is supported by Greek caryatids. The architectural composition is very impressive, as is the skill of the architects who created this splendor. The mansion belonged to the family of the famous conductor, composer A. Spendiarov. Within its walls, the People’s Artist of the Armenian SSR worked on the symphonic painting “Three Palms”, the famous suite “Crimean Sketches”.
- The stopping place of the Ai-Petri cableway, the stop of the cableway bus.
Four carved tines of the rocks of the massif of the same name have long been the main miraculous business card of the whole Crimea. Kilometer-long peaks rising above the surroundings complete the unique natural amphitheater, originating from Cape Ai-Tudor. Ai-Petri is incredibly picturesque. Cumulus clouds often cling to its top, wrapping rocks with a soft cap. At the same time, the foot of the mountain is immersed in the bright green of the forests. You can get to an amazing place by cable car, the lower platform of which is in Miskhor. By the way, the highway is also considered a landmark. According to the length of unsupported spans, the engineering structure occupies one of the first places in Europe. Vacationers who climbed Ai-Petri can enjoy magnificent panoramic views from the observation platforms or go along special tourist routes laid along the slopes of the mountain.
- Address: Bakhchisaray highway. Stop transport "Waterfall".
About 7 km from Yalta is the largest and most famous Crimean waterfall Uchan-Su. It is formed by the flows of the river of the same name, flowing from a height of 98.5 m to the foot of the cliff. According to ancient legend, a beautiful maiden abducted by a cruel dragon turned into a cascade. The mythical monster sent drought to the surrounding lands, and the young beauty threw herself into the abyss to become a stream of water, bringing life to exhausted people. The waterfall is amazingly picturesque. It’s better to admire it in the early spring. At this time, the two threads of the cascade are full-flowing. However, in the cold winter, the waterfall is an equally striking sight. A severe frost turns its streams into fantastic ice pillars.
- Address: Ai-Petri Range. The stopping place of the Ai-Petri cableway, the stop of the cableway bus.
Despite the fact that one of the most beautiful Crimean caves was discovered back in 1971, it began to be shown to tourists less than 10 years ago. There are two explanations for this. The romantic version says that, according to local shepherds, evil spirits live in the underground labyrinths, which should not be bothered in vain.Practitioners without prejudice have a different opinion. The entrances to the cave are almost vertical wells. Visitors began to be allowed here only after installing reliable spiral staircases and lighting devices. In the Geophysical there is something to admire! Pearl Hall, for example, nature painted in greenish-white tones, and the Red Hall - in a copper color. Underground recreations are decorated with bizarre stalactites and stalagmites. By the way, some cave mineral formations tend to change color during camera flashes. And here you can take a selfie against the background of the largest 6-meter stalactite in Crimea.
Museum of History and Literature
- Schedule: daily, except Monday, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 150 p., Preferential 75 p., Children under 16 are allowed free of charge.
- Phone: +7 365 432-30-65.
- Website: http://yilm.ru
- Address: st. Pushkinskaya, 5. Bus stop "Botkinskaya Street".
The oldest cultural and educational institution in Yalta, which first opened its doors to visitors more than 120 years ago, has a wonderful collection, which has about 160 thousand storage units. A significant part of the museum’s exposition is devoted to the history and ethnography of Crimea. The exhibition halls demonstrate archaeological artifacts, paintings, masterpieces of arts and crafts, traditional costumes of the peoples inhabiting the peninsula since ancient times. The highlight of the institution’s collection is the Golden Pantry. It contains real rarities - Pontic, Bosporus, Roman coins, ancient jewelry made of precious metals, antique ceramics.
Chekhov House Museum
- Schedule: daily in the summer, from 10:00 to 18:00, on Wednesdays until 20:00. From November to April inclusive with weekends on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Ticket price: adult 250 p., Preferential 159 p., For children under 16 years admission is free.
- Phone: +7 365 439-49-47.
- Website: http://yalta-museum.ru/en/dom-muzej-ap-chehova-v-jalte.html
- Address: st. Kirova, 112. Stop of the Pionerskaya transport.
In the work of the great Russian prose writer, a lot is connected with Yalta. Suffice it to say that it was here that Three Sisters and The Cherry Orchard were written. Today, a museum is working in the house with the wing, under the shelter of which Anton Pavlovich more than once dawned on inspiration. In the funds of the institution there are more than 17 thousand exhibits, one way or another connected with Chekhov. The permanent part of the exposition consists of manuscripts, lifetime editions of the writer's works, and his belongings. By the way, in the collection of stamps collected by a classic of literature, there are genuine rarities. The interiors of the mansion are recreated with historical thoroughness. The rooms contain many things that once surrounded Anton Pavlovich.
Museum of Lesya Ukrainka
- Schedule: from Wednesday to Sunday inclusive, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 150 p., Preferential 75 p.
- Address: st. Catherine, 8. Stop transport "Botkin street."
No less noticeable trace Yalta has left in the life of the classic of Ukrainian literature Lesya Ukrainka. The historic building, owned by Baron Jomini, now has a museum. The second floor of the beautiful mansion is occupied by an exposition dedicated to the life and work of the writer. The rooms recreate the surroundings of the philistine house of the late XIX - early XX centuries. Visitors are traditionally attracted by the collection of national Ukrainian costumes. In front of the building there is a wonderful monument to Lesja Ukrainka, created by G. Kalchenko and A. Ignashchenko on the centenary of the wonderful poetess, a magnificent translator, an outstanding folklorist.
- Schedule: submissions are given daily except Monday. Beginning of daytime performances at 13:00 or 14:00, evening - at 19:00.
- Ticket price: from 200 r. up to 450 p.
- Phone: +7 365 427-25-64.
- Website: http://theatreyalta.com
- Address: st. Catherine, 13. Stop transport "Partizanskaya Street."
The resort capital of Crimea has a very long theatrical history. It could not be otherwise, because one of the components of elite relaxation at all times was the worship of Melpomene. So is it any wonder that it was on the local stage that the performing talent of the great F. Chaliapin, the composing gift of the famous S. Rachmaninov, was fully revealed? The theater building is no less remarkable. A magnificent mansion with an antique portico, shining with the harmony of Corinthian columns, was erected in 1883. After the restoration, carried out 11 years ago, the facade and the auditorium of the temple of art look great. The repertoire of the theater, named after a classic of Russian literature, includes diverse performances. Classical plays, vaudeville, children's performances and musicals are staged here.
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 365 432-40-59.
- Address: st. Sadovaya, 2. Stop transport "Street Marine".
The main temple of the city, to match the most brilliant Yalta, looks festive. The facade of the cathedral, decorated with kokoshniks belts, fancy stucco moldings, is decorated in white and pink colors. You can get inside the building through an elegant porch-roof covered with a fabulous tent. The three-tier bell tower with the same kokoshniks, elegant columns, carved pilasters completes the architectural composition in the Neo-Russian style. The construction of the temple, which lasted 11 years, was completed in the spring of 1890. The church was consecrated in honor of the canonized Grand Duke of the Russian land, thus perpetuating the memory of Emperor Alexander II, who died in a terrorist attack organized in Saint Petersburg Narodnaya Volya.
Temple of St. Hripsime
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 17:00.
- Address: st. Zagorodnaya, 3. Bus stop "Sadovaya Street".
The history of the appearance in Yalta of the temple of the Armenian Apostolic Church - an architectural monument of the beginning of the 20th century, is very dramatic. To finance the construction of the temple of the prosperous oilman P. Ter-Ghukasyan, the tragic death of a young daughter, buried on the top of Darsan hill, prompted. The building was erected directly above the resting place. The model for the architect Ter-Mikelyan, who led the project, was a particularly revered temple of the X century. in Etchmiadzin. That is why a relatively new building seems so ancient. The portals of the church are made of tuff traditional for Armenian architecture. The shapes of the building delight in their perfect proportionality. It is beautiful not only outside. Inside the walls and domes of the temple are covered with stunning frescoes.
Church of John Chrysostom
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 365 432-89-75.
- Website: http://zlatoust.prihod.ru
- Address: st. Tolstoy, 10. Stop transport "clothing market."
The delightful church that guests of Yalta enjoy today is the reincarnation of the first city church, consecrated in the autumn of 1837 and destroyed in the middle of the last century. In 1994, it was decided to restore historical justice. On the lower terrace of Polikurovsky hill, where the church was previously located, construction began. Modern architects, scrupulously following the preserved ancient drawings, erected an exact copy of the creation of the architect G. Toricelli. The consecration of the restored church took place already in the fall of 1998. Elements of the festive Moscow Baroque and ascetic Gothic are fantastically combined in the guise of a five-domed church. An elegant bell tower rises next to the main building, shining with a gilded dome.
"Glade of fairy tales"
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 17:30.
- Ticket price: adult 300 rubles, children's 150 rubles.
- Phone: +7 365 432-64-02.
- Address: st. Kirov. Stop transport "Glade of fairy tales."
In order to get into the kingdom of legends and fairy tales, guests of Yalta need to make a 15-minute journey. In the vicinity of the city, in a large forest glade at the foot of the cliff of Stavri-kai, settled the characters of folk legends, epics, familiar to everyone since childhood. The territory of the park of floristry and sculpture is divided into thematic zones. Visitors will visit Baba Yaga, Vasilisa the Beautiful, see Balda, the troubled sea, the hero, who defeated the Serpent-Gorynych. Then they will meet with Snow White and the Dwarves, Dr. Aibolit, Pinocchio. In total, the exposition has 39 wooden, stone, concrete statues and another 89 sculptural and floral art objects. A visit to this place will be remembered for a long time by a child!
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: from 650 p. up to 1500 p.
- Phone: + 978 733-43-43.
- Website: http://atlantida-yalta.ru/en
- Address: st. Kommunarov, 7A. Stop transport "Sanatorium Russia".
In the summer of 2015, Yalta found a new attraction - an ultramodern water park that can simultaneously receive up to 1.3 thousand guests. It covers an area of about 700 m², divided into functional zones. Separate recreations are allocated for children. The 7 Seaside aquarium, decorated in the style of mythological Atlantis, is equipped with serpentines and light descents, which are absolutely safe for the child. For kids equipped with shallow pool "Laguna". While the kids are frolicing, adults will be able to inject adrenaline into the blood, having descended from the 20-meter Extreme and Boomerang, to experience enchanting sensations from dizzy somersaults on the Centrifuge or the Turn. A snack to gain strength for new adventures is not difficult in an excellent cafe, where young visitors are offered a special menu.
Yalta Zoo "Fairy Tale"
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 20:00 in the summer, from 9:00 to 17:00 in the winter.
- Ticket price: adult 800 rubles, children's 400 rubles.
- Phone: +7 365 423-34-82.
- Website: http://yaltazoo.org
- Address: st. Kirova, 156. Stop of the transport "Glade of fairy tales".
An excursion to the largest Crimean zoo will bring great pleasure to the young guests of Yalta. Still would! Here, "lives" more than 1.5 thousand animals that feel great in an environment as close as possible to the natural habitat. Visitors are invited to watch the lions, leopards, tigers, bears, laugh at the hilarious tweaks of monkeys. The kingdom of birds is represented by proud vultures, vultures, eagles, royal peacocks, graceful black swans. The terrarium was inhabited by pythons, boas, lizards, iguanas, a Nile crocodile. The zoo is located next to the "Glade of Tales", but it is worth going separately. A simultaneous visit to two wonderful places at once can become too much of an emotional burden for the child.
Without having been to Yalta, one cannot comprehend the charm inherent in the enchanting and such romantic Crimea. The various attractions of the resort capital of the peninsula are not only an addition to the mandatory beach program. Natural, architectural, historical monuments of Yalta are a part of the spiritual and cultural heritage of the country.
Coffee in "Coffee"
Honestly, coffee is not the best here. But the owners of the establishment successfully chose a place, placing their coffee houses in the form of coffee makers in the most pleasant places on the waterfront - at the fountains. It works around the clock (at night, knock on the window). Coffee and dessert will cost up to 200 rubles. I like “Coffee” under the plane trees, by the light fountain, which murmurs not far from the “Yubileiny” KZ. Takeaway coffee here, therefore, taking a latte and a delicious cheesecake, you can simply find any bench with a view of the sea and enjoy.
On the waterfront there is everything that a tourist needs: offers for housing, hotels, exchangers, banks, an information office, shops with clothes and groceries. It is a tourism center. To see not only the tourist life of the city, turn off the embankment into cozy streets and Yalta courtyards.
I like the Yalta embankment because of its lively and relaxed atmosphere. And you can continue the walk along Pushkinskaya street or further along the sea in Seaside Park.
What to see in Yalta. Where to go
Yalta: useful information
- City Information
- Yalta Map
- Where to go
- Attractions (32)
- Castles, palaces (9)
- Beaches (8)
- Parks (2)
- Amusement Parks (4)
- Museums (4)
- Funiculars, cable cars (1)
- Nature Reserves (1)
- Waterfalls (1)
- Temples, churches, mosques (4)
- Bus stations (1)
- Zoos (1)
- Ports (1)
- Markets (1)
- Ski Resorts (1)
- Restaurants and Cafes (1)
- Theaters (1)
- Book a hotel in Yalta
- Search and book cheap flights
- Tourists reviews
- Photos of Yalta
- Tips about Yalta
- Question answer
- Excursions in Yalta
The main attractions of Yalta
Acquaintance with the sights of Yalta for vacationers begins from the promenade - so traditional for the resort town. In addition to a continuous series of cafes and attractions, on this street you can find architectural monuments and very interesting sculptures, a gallery of the Union of Artists and a small chapel. In the central part of the embankment, at the Tavrida Hotel, the cable car to Darsan Hill begins - a ride is worth at least for the sake of panoramic photos of Yalta.
Despite the fact that in Yalta there are a lot of green squares and park recreation areas, one of the most picturesque parks is still located in the suburbs. It is called Nikitsky Botanical Garden, it is interesting not only for the collection of plants, but also in terms of landscape design. On the territory of the park-garden there is a gallery of exotic butterflies, seasonal exhibitions are held.
The key places in the cultural program in Yalta are Chekhov's house-museum, known as Belaya Dacha, the Museum of the Massandra Palace and exhibitions in other palace complexes of Big Yalta. The route also covers the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, located on a small hill in the center, the Church of John Chrysostom - the first stone building in the city, the Resurrection Church in the village of Foros.
Chekhov's House in Yalta © Konstantin
Landmarks of Yalta
It is convenient to travel from Yalta to nature parks and Crimean palaces in the vicinity of the resort. Such routes are not enough for more than one day, and each will be memorable - thanks to the picturesque scenery.
To fully enjoy the beauty of the nature of Crimea, you will get in the unique Yalta Reserve, which encompasses mountain ranges, pine, beech and oak forests, which offer inspiring panoramic views.
Traveling to the reserve is unthinkable without visiting its most popular attraction - Ai-Petri Mountain and Uchan-Su Waterfall located on its southern slope. The best view of the waterfall and the surroundings opens from the equipped observation deck during the snowmelt.
Excursions to the palaces are another interesting area of outreach, which can be successfully combined with a trip to the reserve. So, for example, at the foot of Ai-Petri is the Vorontsov Palace, working as a museum complex.
It will be no less interesting to visit the Livadia Palace in the village of Livadia (about 3 km from Yalta), the Yusupov Palace in Miskhor or the Moorish-style Kichkine Palace in Koreiz.
Children will enjoy a trip to the Aquatoria Sea Animal Theater in Vinogradnoye. The unique dolphinarium theater became famous for spectacular stunt shows, in which, in addition to dolphins, sea lions and seals, walruses, white whales participate.
Few people saw Soviet postcards with one of the symbols of the Yalta embankment - a monument to the leader of the world proletariat against the backdrop of a beautiful mountain landscape, surrounded by a variety of woody cultures. The embankment bears the name of Lenin, and this monument is the main one here. A wide neat square stretches in front of him, and therefore both locals and tourists often make romantic meetings near the monument. The opening of the monument to Ilyich took place in 1954, the architects - Pyotr Yatsino and Alexander Fomin. The pedestal is made of red marble, and the sculpture itself is made of bronze.
Former International Club of Sailors
One of the unique buildings of Soviet Yalta is the sector of international interaction of sailors built in 1961. It was planned to make friends with Nice, the club provided overseas trips to sailors and their families, as well as tours of the Crimea for foreign guest sailors.The club ceased to carry out such activities after the collapse of the USSR, but for some time it functioned as a house of culture. Since about 2007, disputes began about who owned the building, the club was closed. Currently, there is a wine boutique called the Theater of Wine and the Crimea.
Chapel of the New Martyrs
One of the main attractions of the Yalta embankment is the Chapel of the New Martyrs, which can be seen in almost all photos of the central promenade of the embankment - including the main photo of this article. Initially, this place was a wooden church with a small dome, which was built in 1881. Alexander II was killed that year, the construction of the chapel was timed to coincide with this. After the revolution, it was closed, and in 1932 they decided to take it apart. The modern stone chapel building, made very similar to the former, was built in 2009 and dedicated to all victims of the Civil and Great Patriotic Wars.
Monument "Lady with a Dog"
In the very center of the embankment there is a monument of three sculptures called "Lady with a Dog". Here is present not only the fictional heroine of the story of the same name, but also its author - Anton Pavlovich Chekhov. Everyone knows that the story takes place here in Yalta, and therefore the monument is more than appropriate. The sculptures were created and installed in 2004, on the centenary of the writer's birthday. They are made of bronze. For two years, the sculptors Parshiny worked on this monument - father and son Gennady Alekseevich and Fedor Gennadevich.
Not only "Lady with a Dog" is a monument to Anton Pavlovich in Yalta. Not far from it, in the depths of the park, is the Chekhov Theater. It was built in 1896 and then still bore the name simply Yalta Theater - without a personal dedication. However, that building did not survive, because it was completely wooden and burned to the ground in September 1900. The theater was restored by a merchant and a former actor by the name of Novikov, about 1910 the modern building, called the Novikovsky Theater, was completed. Only in 1944 it was decided to give him the name of the great Russian writer.
Another attraction of the Yalta embankment is the incredibly beautiful front door of the hotel called "Villa Sofia". The building was built in 1897 by Nikolai Krasnov, who at that time was the chief architect of the city and designed the Livadia Palace, was engaged in the restoration of the Bakhchisaray Palace and Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, which will be discussed later. The building was commissioned by the merchant Roffe - it housed a bath with heated sea water, where Bunin, Chekhov, and Chaliapin used to be. In 1975, in the dilapidated after the war building of the baths, the Chervona Ruta music group was located for constant rehearsals. That is why when in 1984 it was decided to demolish the building, Sofia Rotaru actively opposed, and then completely acquired the historic building. It is easy to guess that the luxurious Villa Sofia Hotel belongs to her.
Yalta is known for a large number of private and free beaches. But only Primorsky refers directly to the central promenade. This beach of Yalta stretched as much as 400 meters along the coast, covered with a nice small pebble. The entrance to the water is gentle, the water is clean at any time of the year, which is a great advantage. As on the entire Black Sea coast, a system of amenities and entertainment for a good rest is developed here.
This cable car is called Yalta-Gorka. It was opened in 1967 and is well known to everyone who watched Sergei Solovyov’s famous film Assa. The road, with a vertical drop of 120 meters, stretched for 600 meters - from the extreme point of the embankment (next to the Tavrida Hotel) to the Darsan Hill. The journey takes only 12 minutes, but can become very romantic, since the multi-colored, nostalgic-Soviet booths are designed for only two people. You can go down the hill on foot, but most often tourists take a round-trip ticket. The cost of an adult one-way ticket is 200 rubles, a child from 5 to 18 years old - 100, and children under 5 years old can travel for free.
In 1999, a restaurant called the Golden Fleece was built near the promenade, directly above the sea. The institution has become literally a cult because of its unusual form of a medieval galley, which is as if about to be launched. Currently, the area of the "ship" is occupied by the Yalta restaurant "Orange" - a very popular place, judging by the reviews. In addition to a large selection of Italian, Mediterranean and Japanese dishes, visitors are offered desserts from the restaurant's own bakery. You can sit in the main, indoors, and in an open area with beautiful views of the promenade.
Isadora Duncan Plane
Many tourists wonder how old the plane tree is on the embankment of Yalta. According to an established legend, a huge tree, spreading its branches right into two parallel walking alleys, has been standing here for at least 500 years. But there is no evidence for this. There is also a legend associated with the unofficial name of the tree - as if Isadora Duncan loved to walk under this tree, expressing her admiration to Sergey Yesenin. There is no evidence for this either. One way or another, this magnificent tree is undoubtedly a landmark of the embankment, and everyone decides to believe or not to believe urban legends.
This hotel was opened to visitors in 1907, it was built by the personal order of Alexander Witmer, a retired general and Zemstvo leader of Yalta. This palace of snow-white color, created in the style of art nouveau, has been popular throughout its history. Oddly enough, in Soviet times, the "bourgeois" hotel was not only preserved, but not even renamed. After the war, Oreanda was converted into a sanatorium for the military, but already in 1950 it was overhauled and returned to the status of a hotel. This hotel can often be seen on photos and postcards with views of the promenade. One can say that Oreanda is the visiting card of the Yalta promenade.
This hotel is not only a monument of history and architecture of Yalta, but also continues to function. Tavrida was built in 1875, the project was authored by Alexander Vinberg. At that time it was a hotel "Russia". At one time, it was here that Nekrasov, Chekhov, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Bunin, Stanislavsky, Nemirovich-Danchenko, Mayakovsky and many others visited. The name change occurred after the collapse of the USSR, when Yalta became Ukrainian. In 2005, the hotel was completely restored.
Exhibition Hall of the Union of Artists
One of the most interesting buildings of Soviet architecture on the Yalta embankment is the Exhibition Hall of the Union of Artists. This is a large building with one glass wall and two deafs decorated with magnificent mosaics called "artist's dream" and "artist's work". Inside the building are two spacious halls, where and passing exhibitions, mainly of Crimean representatives of the Union of Artists. Undoubtedly, the attraction is both the building itself and the objects of art located in it, which anyone can see.
Concert Hall "Jubilee" and the Avenue of Stars
The magnificent building of the concert hall in futuristic style was built in 1988, on the 150th anniversary of the city, which is why the hall was called "Jubilee". Previously, there was a summer stage on this place, which lasted from the 1880s to the 1970s. This building, which was completely open from all sides, with a roof only above the stage, was built similar to the summer stage. After the last reconstruction, a sliding roof appeared over the common room.
And before the entrance to the "Jubilee" was created "Avenue of Stars" - following the example of Hollywood. Here you can see plates with monument stars in Yalta to Mikhail Pugovkin, Lev Durov, Alexander Mikhailov and many others. And nearby is also the “Comedian Alley” - here are some humorous monuments in the form of objects of famous domestic comedians, for example, Zhvanetsky’s briefcase and Shirvindt’s pipe.
How to get there
The embankment of Yalta is a place that is very difficult to walk past while walking around the city. Simply moving to the sea - and sooner or later you will get here. However, if you want to go to the promenade as soon as possible, it is enough to get on any trolley bus or bus going from the station, and get off at the Sovetskaya Square stop, then go through the underpass - and here it is, the embankment. Below is a map.
Embankment them. Lenin is also the name of Yalta Street, on which, in fact, is the seaside promenade and all its attractions.