Nyhavn is a canal along which the famous street is located. Translated from Danish, it means “new harbor”, since the canal was dug in 1673 to connect the New Royal Square (Kongens Nytorv) with the city harbor and the waters of the Öresund Strait.
Construction was carried out by Swedish prisoners of war from 1658 to 1660.
As in many port places, soon after construction, New Harbor became a hot spot with a mass of criminals, corrupt women and other evil spirits.
In the 18th – 19th centuries, the Nyhavn district remained the “red light district”. Despite all the vividness of the place, the famous storyteller lived here - Hans Christian Andersen, it was here that many of his works were written.
In 1875, the first bridge was built over the Nyhavn Canal, and in 1912 it was replaced by a modern drawbridge.
During World War II, Nyhavn as a port lost its significance, and the embankment gradually began to decline.
In the late 1960s, Copenhagen authorities began to rebuild the Nyhavn area and turn it into a tourist destination.
The nyhavn was built by decree of King Christian V between 1670 and 1673 by Swedish prisoners of war of the Danish-Swedish war (1658–1660). The canal connects the sea and the old city (Royal Square), one of the main shopping areas in front of the royal palace, where cargo and catch were transported. The area was famous for beer, sailors and the spread of prostitution. The Danish writer, Hans Christian Andersen, has lived in the Nyhavn area for about 18 years.
The first bridge across Nyhavn was opened on February 6, 1875. It was a temporary wooden foot bridge. In 1912, it was replaced with a new bridge, which stands to this day.
As ocean-going vessels grew in size, the Nyhavn began to be used for domestic cargo transportation in small ships. After the Second World War, internal freight traffic began to be carried out by land transport, the movement of small vessels disappeared from the port of Copenhagen and the Nyhavan Canal.
In the mid-1960s, the Nyhavan community was created to revive life in the area. In 1977, the mayor of Copenhagen, Egon Weidekamp, gave the port the status of a historic harbor. In 1980, the pier became a pedestrian zone, previously the streets were used as parking spaces.
At present, Nyhavn is a popular place among tourists and residents of the city. The port serves as a kind of square, in accordance with the plan of the architect Jan Gale and Lars Gemzoe.
Buildings edit |Photo and description
One of the main attractions of the city of Copenhagen is the area and the Nyhavn Canal, which means “New Harbor” in Danish. The channel is 1 km long and 15 m wide.
The canal was dug by Swedish prisoners in 1671 during the reign of King Christian V. The author of the New Harbor was the royal engineer B. Ruzenstin. The main purpose of the construction of the canal was the desire of the Danish kings to create a direct link between the Strait of Oresund and the new Royal Square. At that time it was one of the main trading areas and it was located in front of the royal palace Charlottenborg.
The Nyhavn area became the residence of sailors who returned from long voyages. For a long period, it was called the Copenhagen Red Light District and was considered the most dangerous place in the city. In 1980, the area was restored, and the harbor became one of the most popular attractions in Copenhagen.
At the beginning of the canal there is a large anchor - a monument to sailors who died during the Second World War. Along the channel for more than three hundred years, clinging to each other, fabulous colorful houses have lined up. Here, at one time, the famous storyteller Hans Christian Andersen lived and wrote his famous works.
Today, Nyhavn is a landmark of Copenhagen and one of the favorite places for guests of the city and local residents. Along the canal there are many restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, souvenir shops. Here you can not only relax and try the local cuisine, but also enjoy a beautiful panoramic view. The old harbor today is used as a pier for fishing boats and small sightseeing boats.