|New town hall|
|him. Neues rathaus|
View of the New Town Hall and Marienplatz
|48 ° 08′16 ″ s w. 11 ° 34′33 ″ c. d.HGYOL|
|Location||Old Town in Munich|
|Architect||Georg von Hauberrisserd|
|Wikimedia Commons Media Files|
New town hall (German: Neues Rathaus) - a building in Munich, in the northern part of the Marienplatz square, designed for the work of the city authorities: Oberburgermeister, City Council, city government.
Story| edit code
The new town hall was built in 1867-1908 under the leadership of Georg von Hauberrisser. The entire complex of brick and stone with a tower height of 85 m is grouped around six courtyards. The huge facade of the building, about 100 meters long, is richly decorated with figures of the Bavarian dukes, kings of the Wittelsbach dynasty, legendary characters and saints. In 1874, the city council, which still occupies the town hall, moved to the new building from the Old Town Hall, which is only a few tens of meters. The building was completed and expanded until 1908-1909. Today, the town hall is a neo-Gothic style building with 400 rooms with a total area of more than 9 thousand m².
The 85-meter-high tower of the town hall is equipped with an elevator and is open for tourists to visit. The building is crowned by the figure of the “Munich baby” on the tower spire, which holds the gospel in his left hand and blesses the city with his right hand.
On the central tower of the town hall, there are chimes that play a 15-minute performance. Every day, at 11 o'clock, 43 town bells begin to beat, windows open, and 32 human-tall figures begin to play scenes from urban life that took place at Marienplatz. Duke William V and his wife Renata Lorraine open a jousting tournament, held on the square in 1568 in honor of their wedding. In front of them are heralds with trumpets, standard-bearers and squires, horse-knight-clad armor. At the signal of the duke, they rush against each other and a knight with a Bavarian shield knocks out a Lorraine knight from the saddle. Following the tournament, the conductor, with a wave of his wand, opens the dance of coopers in bright red jackets at the bottom of the clock, celebrating the retreat of the plague in 1517. The performance takes place in the winter at 11 o’clock, and in the summer at 12 and 17 o’clock.
New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus), Munich
New town hall - City Hall of Munich, the meeting place of the mayor, city council and city government. Located in the heart of old Munich - on the north side of Marienplatz, the New Town Hall is considered one of the main tourist attractions of the city, the personification of the Bavarian capital.
Looking at New town hall it's hard to believe that this gothic building is just over 200 years old. The construction of the building, under the supervision of the young architect Georg von Hauberrisser, was begun in 1867 and completed in 1909. The neo-Gothic-style building has 400 working rooms, which today house the city government and the mayor’s bureau. The facade of the 100-meter building is decorated with figures of historical figures who played a significant role in the life of old Munich, masks, grimaces, faces of saints, as well as a majestic dragon, reminiscent of the experienced horrors of the medieval plague.
In the central part New town hall There is an 85 meter tower, on the tower - one of the main attractions of the Bavarian capital - the famous clock with a fight. They hit at exactly 11 and 12 in the morning, and from May to October also at 17. At this time, simultaneously on two tiers of watches, one can observe puppet shows of 32 figures almost in human height. The top tier depicts a 1568 tournament marking the marriage of Duke William V to the Princess of Lorraine, and below are figures of Bochars circling in dance celebrating the end of the plague epidemic that hit the city in 1515-1517. In the evenings at 21:00, a night watchman and an angel of the world appear, who, accompanied by the music of Richard Wagner and Johannes Brahms, bring the “Munich baby” to bed.
However the tower New town hall popular not only with its famous watch, but also with an observation deck located at an altitude of 85 meters, rising to which you will have the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful panorama of the Bavarian capital. The observation deck is open daily from Monday to Friday. In the period from May to October from 10 to 19, and in the winter months from 10 to 17 hours.
Also in the building New Town Hall There is a tourist information point where you can get information sheets, brochures and flyers about events in the city and city attractions.
Photo and description
The neo-Gothic building of the New Town Hall is located in the very center of the Old Town - on Marienplatz Square. Work on its construction took more than 40 years (1867-1909). Many Munich residents were unhappy with the height of the tower of the town hall (85 meters) - they were afraid that it would overshadow the grandeur of the city cathedral. But that did not happen.
The facade of the building is decorated with numerous sculptures of the Bavarian dukes, kings and electors, mythological characters, many gutters in the form of mythical creatures.
On the tower of the New Town Hall is one of the main attractions of the Bavarian capital - the famous clock with a fight. They hit at exactly 11 a.m., and from May to October, also at noon and at 5 p.m. At the same time, one can observe the rotation of the figures on two tiers: the upper one depicts the tournament of 1568, arranged on the occasion of the marriage of Duke William V and Princess of Lorraine, and below are figures of Bochars circling in dance celebrating the end of the plague epidemic that hit the city in 1515-1517.
A bit of history
With the expansion of the borders of Munich and the increase in the number of city government officials, the Old Town Hall in the 19th century became too crowded. There was a need to transfer the city hall to a more spacious building, but there were no suitable areas among the existing structures. Then in the 1860s. It was decided to build a new building. Construction began in 1867 and continued intermittently until 1909, but the city hall moved to the New Town Hall as early as 1874. Georg von Gauberrisser became the project's architect, and he laid the foundation for the neo-Gothic style that was at that time maximized the sharpness of the Gothic lines and the careful inclusion of details of other styles. A distinctive feature of the appearance of the New Town Hall was the abundance of sculptures stretching along its main facade, and a tower of 85-meter height, almost record-breaking for those times.
You can digest the impressions obtained from visiting the New Town Hall in the large and democratic historical restaurant Ratskeller, which since 1867 was located here on the ground floor.
What to see
The new town hall in Munich presents itself to tourists who have always been delighted with an abundance of interesting details. The first step is to enjoy the view of the 100-meter facade, due to the numerous rebuilds of the town hall actually composed of 5 separate buildings with their own unique appearance. Everything here is beautiful: recognizable Gothic lancet windows, and arches stretching upwards, and an abundance of sharp spiers and turrets. In the arcade of the ground floor numerous cafes and restaurants have found a place. On the spire of the 85-meter tower you should see the figure of the “Munich baby” holding the gospel with one hand and blessing the city with the other, at the foot of it are statues of the first four Bavarian kings. Along the facade of the town hall are sculptures of the Bavarian dukes, kings of the Wittelsbach dynasty, folk characters and saints.
In the interiors of the New Town Hall, the neo-Gothic splendor is brilliantly maintained - it seems that you are under the arches of a huge temple. Of 400 rooms with a total area of more than 9 thousand square meters. only a tenth of it is open to visitors, but this is enough to appreciate the richness of the interior with its woodcarvings, an abundance of gilding and stone ornaments.
You should definitely find yourself in front of the facade of the town hall tower at 11:00 - 43 bells of the clockwork begin to beat, and 32 figures of human height play scenes from the life of Munich: knightly tournaments, marches of heralds, folk dances. In summer, the performance is repeated at 12:00 and 17:00.