The Old Town Hall is the oldest secular building in Brno.
It is easy to get here, and once in the building of the town hall, you are allowed to wander along the Gothic passages and see wall paintings and sculptures.
Small, but very graceful and beautiful figures of the squire that are located to the left and also to the right of the entrance to the town hall simply look unique. Figures of squires support on their shields the most beautiful old coat of arms of Brno.
The old town hall is covered with legends. One of them tells about the creator of the Gothic portal, master Anton Pilgram, and the most famous are the legends of the Brno "dragon" and the Brno wheel. Unique symbols of the city are installed right in the passage of the building.
- BTW. The legend of the brand dragon.
Once a dragon appeared in Brno, he attacked people and cattle. No one knew what to do until the assistant local butcher figured out how to defeat the dragon by cunning. He sewed quicklime into the skin of an animal, the dragon ate the animal. And when he began to drink water, the lime began to be extinguished and the dragon burst. People hanged a stuffed dragon in the Old Town Hall.
Once in the city of Lednick there lived a man named Jiří Birk. Over a glass of beer, a man argued with his friends that he would tumble down a big tree, make a wheel out of it and drive it to Brno. Despite all the difficulties, Jiří fulfilled the conditions of the bet, he rolled the wheel to the town hall, took confirmation from the priest and went home.
In the summer, you can see amazing historical halls in the Old Town Hall. You can look at the city from the observation tower, whose height is just over 60 meters. It offers a beautiful view of Brno.
In the courtyard in front of the town hall are concerts, mass cultural events.
It is simply impossible not to visit this popular place - the peak of the building is visible from all corners of Brno.
Photo and description
The main square of Ostrava is named after T. Masaryk - the first president of Czechoslovakia. One of the most beautiful and presentable buildings on the square is the Old Town Hall, which regularly served the “fathers” of the city until 1930. After this, the New City Hall was built, and the old was closed, and after that it was completely given over to the museum.
The building, decorated with a low turret that immediately attracted attention, was built until 1539, when the town hall was first mentioned in written documents. Initially, the town hall was decorated with a round tower. In the period between 1737 and 1780, reconstruction was carried out, as a result of which the tower was completely rebuilt. Now it has acquired a square shape and has been decorated for hours. The facade of the town hall was remade in the Baroque style. However, in this form the building did not stand for long. He was expecting another large-scale reconstruction, which occurred in 1831-1837. Two years earlier, during a thunderstorm, lightning hit the tower. The townspeople decided that the ancient walls would not withstand such a blow, and the tower would simply crumble. However, the structure withstood and waited for the next alteration. Now the town hall has acquired empire features. In 1859, the second floor of the town hall was set up, which was immediately occupied by various offices.
The last significant restructuring took place in 1874-1875, when the facade of the town hall was updated and gave it a renaissance look. This is exactly what we see the Old Town Hall of the city of Ostrava, which now houses the museum of local lore. It has an extensive collection of various ancient artifacts found during archaeological excavations.
Town Hall History
The need for the construction of the town hall arose after the release at the end of the 16th century of the order of Emperor Rudolph II recognizing the Hradcans as a separate royal city. The Renaissance building of the town hall was built by K. Omich from Oberheim at the turn of the 16th-17th centuries. The original building, which was previously in its place, was erected by order of the burggraph Hynek Berka z Dubé and was completely destroyed by fire during the Hussite wars.
The town hall performed its immediate functions until 1784, when Prague was united under Joseph II. After that, her building was converted into an ordinary residential building, although it retained immediate historical value.
During the reconstruction of the facade in 1913, fragments of painting in sgraffito styles, a fresco of the Allegory of Justice, as well as images of the imperial and gradchansky arms were found on it. All surviving decor elements have been carefully restored, thanks to which they are still clearly visible. In the basement, a fragment of the city fortifications was preserved, which remained from the original Gothic building.
To the right of the wooden doors, a narrow metal lath is nailed, which is an old measure of length, called the “Czech elbow” (less often “Prague”), and is 59.4 cm. Many centuries ago, there was a market near the town hall, and customers could use this lath check the correct measurement of goods.
Hradcany Town Hall today
Today, next to the town hall there is a small restaurant offering traditional Czech cuisine. In the Middle Ages, such establishments were closed relatively early, but the inn near the Hradcany Town Hall had special privileges and worked until late at night, and all the money earned at night went to the local treasury.
For several centuries, the building has not changed its purpose and to this day is a residential building. In the second half of the 20th century, the famous Czech actor Vitezslav Veiražka lived in this house.
The Hradcany Town Hall is one of the many attractions in its area. Its facade, adorned with elaborate paintings and frescoes, still retains traces of medieval history.