Sights of Suzdal - what to see and where to go in the city and the surrounding area. Description, photos, how to get, addresses, GPS-coordinates, tags on the map.
Suzdal is the unofficial capital of the Russian Golden Ring and its most popular city for tourists. This is due to the richness of the sights, their excellent preservation, as well as the harmonious combination of landscape and urban buildings. At any time of the year the city is popular with tourists - by the way, a considerable part of them are foreigners, who after visiting Moscow and St. Petersburg usually go to Suzdal - and then they imagine the Russian hinterland.
1. Suzdal Kremlin
The Kremlin is the core of ancient Suzdal - according to the annals, it has existed since 1024. In the XI-XII centuries, the Suzdal Kremlin acquired fortifications consisting of a circular earthen rampart, above which towered log walls with towers - the rampart and the moats of an ancient fortress have survived to this day.
Today the Suzdal Kremlin is a museum whose exposition consists of several components: the Mother of God-Nativity Cathedral, the Bishops' Chambers and the wooden Nikolskaya Church.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 20. Coordinates: 56.41664, 40.44296.
2. Theotokos-Nativity Cathedral
Nativity Cathedral is the oldest building in Suzdal. The exact date of its construction is unknown, but historians are of the opinion that it was erected in the XII century during the reign of Vladimir Monomakh.
They take money for the entrance, but they also have nothing against photographing its interiors. The murals are a bit unusual and unusual, but very beautiful. Inside the temple, attention is attracted to the Suzdal "golden gate", created almost simultaneously with the cathedral itself (1230) and the technique of painting them: fire gilding on blackened copper.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 27. Coordinates: 56.41671, 40.44296.
Excursions in Suzdal from local residents
Inquisitive and sociable travelers who want to fully experience the unique atmosphere of ancient Suzdal and get to know its inhabitants better, I recommend booking a city tour “in the first person” - your guides will be local residents, journalists, historians, artists and just experts in their native places:
At the booking stage, you will need to pay online only 20% of the cost of the tour - the rest of the amount is given to the guide before it starts.
3. Bishops' Chambers
The most saturated is the exposition “Historical Suzdal”, housed in the building of the former Bishops' Chambers of the Suzdal Kremlin and, in turn, consisting of several museums: the Cross Chamber, where the interior of the front reception hall of the 18th-century Suzdal bishop, the Jordanian Canopy, the only one preserved in Russia, is recreated several thematic halls, broken down by historical periods: the pre-Mongol period, the period of the dependence of Russia on the Golden Horde, the era of the tzarina, the era of Peter I.
The last hall of the museum is dedicated to Old Russian painting - it presents the most valuable icons from the temples of Suzdal. You can examine it yourself or with a guide - they will tell you how the icons were written and what tricks were used (for example, gemstones ground into powder were added to the paint).
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 20. Coordinates: 56.41617, 40.44255.
4. Wooden Nikolskaya church
St. Nicholas Church was built in 1766 and transported to the Suzdal Kremlin from the village of Glotovo, Yuryev-Polsky District. This is a unique example of traditional Russian "cage" temples, in its architecture reminiscent of a village hut: two log cabins mounted on a basement. The structure is crowned by a gable roof made of plank boards with a small wooden dome and a cross.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 29. Coordinates: 56.41639, 40.44131.
5. Val of the Suzdal Kremlin
The protective wall was poured in the XI century by order of Prince Vladimir Monomakh and was part of the defensive system of the ancient city. A wooden protective wall with towers, destroyed during the Tatar-Mongol invasion, went along the shaft - Khan Baty personally led the assault on Suzdal from his tent on the Yarunovaya Hill. Nowadays, the shaft is an ordinary grass-covered barrow, which many tourists use as an observation deck.
Coordinates: 56.41833, 40.44581.
6. Assumption Church
A rare example in Moscow of Suzdal or, as it is also called, “Naryshkinsky” baroque. Initially, the Assumption Church was part of a single ensemble with a tented bell tower and an aisle of Sergius and Nikon of Radonezh. After the revolution, the bell tower and the chapel were destroyed, and the church itself almost suffered the same fate: in 1926, the leadership of the political isolator located in the Spaso-Efimievsky monastery turned to the director of the Suzdal Museum V. Romanovsky with the proposal to demolish either the Assumption or Afanasyevsky church so that the resulting brick use for construction needs. Romanovsky decided to keep the Assumption Church as representing the greatest value.
In 2013, the Assumption Church was thoroughly restored - among other things, its famous frescoes “The Assumption of the Virgin” and “Dedication by St. Sergius to the Mother Superior” were renewed.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 8. Coordinates: 56.41794, 40.44566.
7. Fire tower
The Suzdal tower was built in the 1890s in a style typical of almost all the cities of the Russian Golden Ring. After the revolution, it was no longer used for its intended purpose and was practically abandoned - by the beginning of this century, Kalancha was in an extremely neglected state. To preserve one of the few surviving non-religious sights of Suzdal, serious restoration work was carried out at the initiative of local authorities - the appearance and interior elements were restored according to old drawings and sketches.
Opposite the tower there is a monument to Alexei Lebedev, a native of Suzdal, a marine poet and submarine officer who heroically died in the Baltic in November 1941.
Address: Suzdal, st. Alexei Lebedev, 1. Coordinates: 56.41729, 40.4458.
8. The Church of the Nativity of Christ and St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas Church was one of the first buildings erected in Suzdal after the great city fire of 1719. At this time, a new type of Posad church became popular in the city - a three-part axial church, consisting of the main volume, the bell tower and the refectory connecting them. The warm Church of the Nativity of Christ, which forms the “winter / summer church” pair with Nikolskaya, was built according to the classical Suzdal scheme with two volumes of different heights and a gable roof.
Looking at the St. Nicholas and Christ Nativity churches, connoisseurs of domestic cinema will definitely remember the film “The Marriage of Balzaminov”, many scenes of which were shot in Suzdal.
Address: Suzdal, st. Alexei Lebedev, 15-17. Coordinates: 56.41567, 40.44656.
9. The Church of Kozma and Damian on Yarunova Mountain
This temple was erected in 1725 on a low hill on the banks of the Kamenka River. A new word in the Suzdal temple architecture of that time was the combination of three separate buildings into a single architectural monument: a winter temple adjoins the main church building from the south, and a low bell tower is located between them in the west. According to experts, the architects were forced to go to such an unusual layout for the small size of the construction site.
Address: Suzdal, st. Yarunova Gora 8. Coordinates: 56.41425, 40.45049.
10. Museum of wooden architecture
The museum is separated from the Kremlin only by the narrow river Kamenka, which in summer everyone crosses over the bridge, and in winter - across the ice.
The museum is organized as a kind of exemplary village, exhibits into which were brought from all over the Vladimir region, among them there are unique wooden churches (for example, the Transfiguration Church, which was transported to the museum from the village of Kozlyatievo, Kolchuginsky district), wooden windmills, real peasant residential buildings with “Double” Russian stove and a bunch of interesting outbuildings.
For example, there is an impressive three-story “prosperous peasant’s apartment building”, where living rooms are located on the second floor, and a “weaving lamp” on the first floor, a workplace for hired weavers. On our very first visit to the museum, in one of the open pavilions, a family of two sat a husband-hussler and a wife-singer and sang long beautiful North Russian songs. The performers were densely surrounded by Chinese tourists and invariably after each song tore applause from grateful listeners. In fairness, I must admit that they sang and played really really well. It was amusing to watch how, right after the performance of a folk song, the singer began to smartly sell the Chinese CDs with her music to the Chinese, using English and even Chinese numerals :-)
Address: Suzdal, st. Pushkarskaya, 27b. Coordinates: 56.41295, 40.43936.
11. Elias Church
One of the most picturesque Suzdal churches stands on the banks of the Kamenka River, on the edge of the Ilyinsky Meadow - the Bishop’s settlement was once located in this place. The ensemble of the church consisted of the temple itself, the bell tower and the refectory - the last two buildings were demolished in the 1930s. 40 years later, the restoration of the church began, and the bell tower and refectory were fully restored only by 2010.
Address: Suzdal, st. Pushkarskaya, 51. Coordinates: 56.41752, 40.43724.
12. The river Kamenka
Kamenka flowing through Suzdal is a tributary of the Nerl River - many city attractions are located on its picturesque banks. Due to its shallow depth, the Kamenka is not intended for regular navigation - only boats, kayaks and small tourist boats.
13. Wax Museum
This exposition is a branch of the Moscow Wax Museum and is dedicated to the most prominent figures of Russian history from the 9th to the 19th centuries. The museum's collection has about 150 full-sized figures located in several thematic halls. Here you can see the figures of Prince Vladimir, icon painter Andrei Rublev, Catherine II, Peter I, N.V. Gogol, A.P. Chekhov and many other famous personalities.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin, 3. Coordinates: 56.41869, 40.44822.
14. Entrance Jerusalem and Pyatnitskaya churches
Before the revolution of 1917, the Entrance Jerusalem and Pyatnitskaya churches were a single complex with a common bell tower and brick fence. They are located in the southwestern corner of Torgovaya Square, between the Gostiny Dvor and the rampart of the Suzdal Kremlin - it offers the best view of these two churches.
Initially, the Entrance-Jerusalem Church was a five-domed church, but due to design errors, four chapters had to be demolished - they were restored only recently, in the 1990s. Warm Pyatnitskaya church was attached to the Entrance-Jerusalem in 1772 from the original was called St. Nicholas. However, due to the fact that earlier there was a wooden Pyatnitskaya church in its place, the same name was fixed to the new stone church.
Address: Suzdal, st. Kremlin. Coordinates: 56.41899, 40.44681.
15. Gostiny Dvor (Shopping arcade)
The Suzdal Gostiny Dvor (1806-1811) is located on the western side of the Market Square and is a long rectangular building divided into separate sections-shops (initially there were merchant shops and warehouses). The Gostiny Dvor is decorated with a gallery with a colonnade of paired classical columns - from the 19th century and until now it is one of the favorite places for walks of citizens. Shopping arcades are also popular with tourists - thanks to a huge selection of souvenirs.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 63a. Coordinates: 56.41986, 40.44817.
16. Resurrection and Kazan churches
The Resurrection Church at the auction was built in 1720 on the Trade Square of Suzdal - earlier in this place was a wooden church, destroyed by a fire in 1719. The appearance of the temple is strict and almost devoid of any decor - but the bell tower attracts attention: with its high spire, it resembles the bell tower of the Cathedral of the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg.
The Kazan Church was added to Voskresenskaya 20 years later and then was rebuilt several times - in its eclectic appearance, a lace metal ridge on the ridge of the roof stands out.
Address: Suzdal, Shopping area. Coordinates: 56.41999, 40.44888.
17. St. Nicholas Church
This temple was erected in 1770 in gratitude for getting rid of pestilence. At the very height of the epidemic, a prayer service for disaster relief was served at this place (then there was a busy intersection), and after the end of the epidemic, a small wooden chapel was installed, which was later replaced by the current Church of the Holy Cross with the aisle of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.
The church is located just north of the Shopping arcade and faces two streets - Old and Lenin. If you look at it from two different sides, you can’t even guess that you have the same temple - it looks so different.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 65a. Coordinates: 56.42126, 40.44781.
18. Tsarekonstantinovskaya and Sorrow Church
These two temples also represent a combination of summer and winter churches so widespread in Suzdal. At the beginning of the 17th century, the wooden church of Tsar Konstantin stood on this site, which was dismantled due to dilapidation and replaced by the current stone church - the residents themselves collected the money for its construction. This church was the last five-domed temple built in Suzdal. A little later, a winter church was consecrated to the summer Tsarekonstantinovsky church, consecrated in honor of the icon of the Sorrowing Mother of God.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin. Coordinates: 56.42126, 40.4506.
19. Lazarevskaya and Antipievskaya churches
This temple ensemble is one of the most noticeable in Suzdal - thanks in large part to the picturesque bell tower of the Antipievskaya church.
The summer Lazarevskaya church was built in 1667 and is the first five-domed temple of Suzdal. It was in her appearance that those features first appeared that later became characteristic of the Suzdal churches of the XVII-XVIII centuries. The winter Antipievskaya church - low, with one head on a thin drum - looks very discreet not only in comparison with its magnificent "neighbor", but also in comparison with its own bell tower.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 73b. Coordinates: 56.42266, 40.44749.
20. Rizopolozhensky monastery
This is one of the oldest monasteries in our country - it was founded in 1207. According to legend, the Rizopolozhensky monastery survived during the Mongol-Tatar invasion thanks to the earnest prayers of St. Euphrosyne of Suzdal. The architectural ensemble of the monastery consists of the Rizopolozhensky Cathedral, the Venerable Belfry, the Sretensky refectory church and the special pride of the monastery - the Holy Gates of the 17th century, over which the best temple architects of Vladimir-Suzdal worked.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 79. Coordinates: 56.42423, 40.4464.
21. Alexander Monastery
The Alexander Monastery (formerly called the Great Lavra) is considered one of the most ancient monasteries of the Suzdal land - according to legend, it was founded by Prince Alexander Nevsky in 1240. The central building of the ensemble is the Ascension Church, known for its very high domes. The bell tower and the famous Holy Gates, restored in 1947, are located almost to the side.
Address: Suzdal, st. Gasteva. Coordinates: 56.42739, 40.44078.
22. Savior Euthymius Monastery
The Savior-Euthymius Monastery was founded in 1352 and was originally conceived as a fortress - the Suzdal principality, after its unification with Nizhny Novgorod and the transfer of the squad to Nizhny Novgorod, needed a strong outpost to protect the western borders. Initially, the Spaso-Euthymius Monastery was wooden, but almost nothing survived from the ensemble of the 14th century: in the 17th century, it burned down during the Time of Troubles and the Polish-Lithuanian invasion.After the expulsion of the Poles, the monastery was surrounded by powerful fortified walls with towers.
Bust of Dmitry Pozharsky and the corner tower of the monastery
In front of the main entrance, located in the monastery tower, there is a small square with a monument to the most famous Suzdal man - Prince Dmitry Pozharsky.
Over the long history of the monastery, he saw a lot: under its walls, Prince Vasily the Dark lost the battle to the Kazan Khan Ulu-Muhammed and was captured, in the Time of Troubles, the fortress was chosen by the Polish governor Lisovsky, who raided the neighboring towns and villages from there, after the Battle of Stalingrad in one of the casemates the fortress contained captive Field Marshal Paulus (until now visits to this particular place are very popular among German tourists).
On the territory of the monastery there was a prison for religious and political freethinkers (under Catherine II), after the revolution, the fortress used the Soviet power as a prison, during the Great Patriotic War it turned into a place of detention for prisoners of war - in one of the halls there is a rich exposition dedicated to captured Italians who began to arrive in large numbers there after the same battle of Stalingrad.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 135. Coordinates: 56.43317, 40.44033.
23. Smolensk and Simeonovskaya churches
Opposite the Spaso-Euthymius Monastery there is a very pretty Smolensk church:
Together with the Simeonovsky Church, erected 40 years later, it forms the architectural group of paired parish churches - “winter / summer”, which is often found in Suzdal and other cities of the Russian Golden Ring. The Smolensk Church greeted everyone entering the city along the Yaroslavl road - therefore, its northern facade facing the road is decorated significantly richer than the southern one.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 148a. Coordinates: 56.43209, 40.44348.
24. Posadsky house
Posadsky House is the only monument of residential stone architecture that has been preserved in Suzdal. The exact time of its construction is unknown - presumably it was erected in the late XVII - early XVIII century, when the rich Suzdal people only began to build stone housing instead of wooden. For this reason, the architecture of the stone Posad house almost completely copies the traditional urban wooden hut. Currently, the building has a museum exposition that recreates the interior of the Suzdal's manor house.
Address: Suzdal, st. Lenin, 148. Coordinates: 56.43185, 40.4437.
25. Pokrovsky monastery
Pokrovsky Monastery is an active female monastery, and gained its gloomy fame as a place of exile and imprisonment of aristocratic prisoners, such as the wife of Vasily III Solomonia Saburova, the wife of Ivan the Terrible Evdokia, the wife of Ivan the Terrible Anna Vasilchikova, the wife of Peter I Evdokia Lopukhin.
Pokrovsky Monastery is located near the Spaso-Euthymius Monastery - between them flows the river Kamenka, which can be crossed by a bridge. The Pokrovsky monastery looks very advantageous from the walls of Spaso-Evfimiev: if, moving along its walls perpendicular to the main street of Lenin past the monument to Prince Pozharsky, you go to the cliff, then a snow-white Pokrovsky monastery will be visible below the river.
Address: Suzdal, st. Pokrovskaya, 76. Coordinates: 56.42925, 40.4376.
26. Museum of Living History "Shchurovo Mound"
This museum is located on site Azimut. The basis of his exposition was the scenery for the film by Pavel Lungin "The King". Residential and farm buildings of the ancient Slavs were collected in the Shchurov settlement: chopped huts, a forge, an armory, a clay bread oven, camp kitchen of the Russian prince's squad, and much more.
The entrance to the hotel is made in the form of a wooden Russian hut with carved platbands. Having bought a ticket (300 rubles), you need to walk to the museum three hundred meters around the hotel, and it also deserves attention. All buildings are made in the traditional Old Russian style - but inside they meet the most modern requirements for convenience and comfort.
Address: Suzdal, st. Korovniki, 14. Coordinates: 56.43769, 40.43309 (ticket office and entrance to the hotel).
27. Kozmodemyanskaya and Holy Cross Churches
This is another pair of winter and summer churches in Suzdal. The Winter Exaltation of the Cross Church consists of two stands of different sizes - the higher one is crowned with a wide drum and a small cupola. The summer Kozmodemyanskaya church is one of several baroque churches in Suzdal - the central church is located on an elegant drum with kokoshniks.
Unlike other churches in Suzdal, the Kozmodemyanskaya church looks rather abandoned - this is due to the fact that formally, as an Old Believer church, it does not belong to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Address: Suzdal, st. Spasskaya, 64a. Coordinates: 56.43404, 40.42811.
28. St. Basil's Monastery
According to historians, the inhabitants of ancient Suzdal converted to Orthodoxy in a church that was once located on the territory of the current St. Basil’s Monastery. Later, in the 13th century, a powerful defensive fortification was built on the road from the Suzdal Kremlin to Kideksha, which later became a monastery. Initially, St. Basil’s Monastery was masculine, but a year before the October Revolution it was transformed into a feminine. In the 1920s, the monastery was closed, and its premises began to be used as warehouses. In the 90s of the last century, the territory of the monastery was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.
Address: Suzdal, st. Vasilyevskaya, 32b. Coordinates: 56.41894, 40.46198.
29. Churches in Michael
The village of Mikhali lies a little away from Suzdal itself and is usually not mentioned among its main attractions. However, it houses a complex of three very picturesque temples, which makes it quite worth a visit.
The tallest of the churches in Michael is the church of Michael the Archangel of 1769, which is a five-domed summer church with a bell tower. In its composition, the bell tower of the Church of St. Michael the Archangel is similar to the highest point of Suzdal - the Venerable bell tower of the Rizopolozhensky monastery. Nearby is a small winter church of Flora and Lavra (1803 g), and closer to Suzdal stands the red-brick church of Alexander Nevsky - one of the two churches of the city built in the pseudo-Russian style, so common in other cities of the Golden Ring.
Address: Suzdal, st. Mikhailovskaya. Coordinates: 56.40975, 40.46233.
30. The Church of Boris and Gleb in Kideksha
The Church of Boris and Gleb is the oldest temple of the Suzdal land and one of the most valuable monuments of Russian architecture of the pre-Mongol period. Outwardly, it resembles the Dmitrievsky Cathedral of Vladimir and the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl in Bogolyubovo, also related to that historical era. In 1992, the temple was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
According to legend, at this place two brothers met - princes Boris Rostovsky and Gleb of Murom, who were traveling to meet with their father, Prince Vladimir Krasnoye Solnyshko. As you know, the princes were then killed by Svyatopolk the Accursed and later canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church, becoming the first Russian saints.
On the territory of the temple complex is the "Russian Leaning Tower of Pisa" - a bell tower with a travel arch, pretty deviated from the vertical axis. Until the 20th century, the bell of 1552 hung in it - a gift from Ivan the Terrible on the occasion of the capture of Kazan.
Address: Vladimir region, Kideksha, st. Central, 63. Coordinates: 56.42498, 40.52784.
Where to stay in Suzdal
The main "pearl" of the Russian Golden Ring does not lack hotels and guesthouses for every taste and budget. Moreover, every year the choice becomes richer and more diverse. The format and theme of this article do not allow me to list all the worthy places, so I will limit myself to only a few of the most successful in terms of price and quality:
Guesthouse Patchwork - Review rating 9.8 (“Excellent”), price from 700 rubles for a budget double room. Wonderful modern hostel - you can rent a separate room or a bed in a dormitory room. Perfect location: the center is 5-7 minutes on foot, but the house is located in a quiet place.
Mini-hotel "Manor of the coachman" - Review rating 9.8 (“Excellent”), price from 2100 rubles for a double superior studio. Located in the eastern part of Suzdal, not far from the St. Basil's Monastery - it is convenient to go to Kideksha from here. Spacious rooms, fully equipped kitchen, good soundproofing.
The farmstead "Veranda" - rating by reviews 9.7 (“Excellent”), price from 3500 rubles for a double room. Cozy modern hotel, stylized as an old manor. Ample tasty breakfasts, friendly staff, good new furniture, cleanliness and order. Good location: 400 meters to the Shopping arcade, 1 km to the Suzdal Kremlin.
AZIMUT Hotel Suzdal **** - rating by reviews 8.2 (“Very Good”), price from 3600 rubles for a double room. One of the most colorful hotels in Suzdal is enough to say that it is on its territory that the Shchurovo Mound Museum is located. All hotel buildings are designed in the old Russian style - but at the same time in accordance with the most modern requirements for convenience and comfort.
Boutique Hotel Imperial - rating by reviews 9.7 (“Excellent”), price from 7900 rubles for a separate house and from 9500 rubles for a deluxe studio. The luxurious interiors of the old manor house, delicious hearty breakfasts, a wonderful restaurant (one of the best in Suzdal). Location - the very center of the city, not far from the Rizopolozhensky monastery.