Travel

Viborg Museum

Pin
Send
Share
Send


  • Countries
  • List of countries
  • Countries on the map
  • Cities and resorts
  • List of cities and resorts
  • Resort selection
  • City and resort collections
  • Reviews of cities and resorts
  • RT Ratings
  • Ratings feed
  • All ratings
  • Content Country Ranking
  • View Country Ranking
  • City rating
  • Top cities and resorts
  • Communities
  • Recent Community Posts
  • Community List
  • Hotel communities
  • Users
  • Travelers
  • Travel agents
  • Pros
  • The best of the best
  • Travelers ride

The story of your travels

Subscribe to us

All rights reserved. Reprinting, inclusion of information contained in advertising and other materials of the site in various databases for their further commercial use, placement of such materials in any media and the Internet is allowed only with the written permission of the publisher. The service provided is informational. The site administration is not responsible for the accuracy and quality of the information provided by site visitors, including travel agencies and hoteliers.

Photo

In the Viborg district muse, you can learn about the past of the city and get acquainted with the property of the Vikings.

Sered. June - Aug: 11.00-17.00 Tue-Sun, Sep - middle. June: 13.00-16.00 Tue-Fri, 11.00-17.00 Sat and sun

This is a description of the attractions of the Viborg Museum in Viborg, Central Jutland (Denmark). As well as photos, reviews and a map of the surroundings. Find out the history, coordinates, where it is and how to get there. Check out other places on our interactive map, get more detailed information. Get to know the world better.

Vyborg. News | Newspaper Vyborg
| Newspaper Vyborg

An exhibition of graduate works by graduates of the St. Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering, the St. Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture named after Repin and the Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University has opened in Vyborg Castle.

It is dedicated to the preservation of the architectural heritage of Vyborg

Vyborg Museum-Reserve pinned post
Vyborg TV - interesting news
Vyborg Museum-Reserve pinned post
Vyborg Museum-Reserve pinned post
Vyborg. News | Newspaper Vyborg

An exhibition of graduate works by graduates of the St. Petersburg State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering, the St. Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture named after Repin and the Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University has opened in Vyborg Castle.

It is dedicated to the preservation of the architectural heritage of Vyborg

Vyborg Museum-Reserve pinned post

On March 7, 1962, the staff of the former Naval Economic and Quartermaster School donated the model of the frigate "Pallas" to the Vyborg Museum of Local Lore. According to legend (as the primary document containing information about the subject when it was received is called in museum business) the model was made by cadets of the school.
Show in full ... Unfortunately, there are no more details - neither names, nor circumstances - at our disposal. Perhaps this is due to the fact that at that time the museum worked in very cramped conditions in the building on 20 Lenin Ave. and had a very small staff. When in 1964 the museum of local lore moved to Castle Island, after repair and exposition work, a frigate model was installed (or rather, suspended from the ceiling) on ​​the landing of the main building of the Vyborg Castle, where it looked very impressive and attracted the attention of museum visitors. In September 2019, when preparing a new exhibition at this place, the model was removed. Over the decades of “service”, the frigate was greatly “worn out”, thoroughly dusty and dilapidated. The boat modellers from the Admiral Club of the Favorit Sports and Fitness Center kindly responded to the request to bring the specific exhibit in order: coach, international class master of sports Vladimir Valentinovich Chernenko and his pupils Roman Kolesnikov and Alexey Lugovoi from school No. 10 of Vyborg. They have a very laborious and painstaking work, requiring a lot of patience, accuracy, special materials and skills. Work is not for one day. The museum is very grateful to the guys for their help! After restoration, the Pallas model will be “assigned” to the new exposition on underwater archeology, which will unfold in the halls of the Barracks Corps at the end of 2020.

Vyborg Museum-Reserve pinned post

Museum Library News
___________________________________

Despite the fact that the "living" space of the museum on Castle Island is shrinking more and more - temporarily, of course - due to large-scale restoration work that has already captured half of the castle buildings - the museum continues to operate as a public one in the form of presentations of new publications and the opening of new exhibitions, as well as the usual one, as a rule, which remains outside the brackets.
Show full ... We want to open a few brackets. Recently, several remarkable people have visited us with unofficial visits - scientists from different countries and independent researchers. Some of them gave us their new books, and some of them - we took autographs with great pleasure. So, on October 9, 2019, Estonian specialists Robert Troifeldt and Ragnar Nurk visited us. Robert Troyfeldt is an architectural historian, member of the ICOMOS Scientific Committee on Fortification and Military Heritage (IKOFORT), author of books and many publications on the history of fortifications. He presented a book that was the result of a joint work of specialists from three countries - Finland, Russia and Estonia:

Suomenlahti Pietarin suojana / Toimittaneet Ove Enqvist ja Johanna Pakola. - Jyväskylä: Docendo Oy, 2016 .-- 323 s. , il. - (Defense of St. Petersburg in the Gulf of Finland. Collection of articles in the Finnish language)

Among the authors from the Russian side: well-known specialists in fortification Leonid Amirkhanov, Stanislav Vorobyov and Alexander Pavlov.

Ragnar Nurk is from a generation of young Estonian professionals. He is an archaeologist serving in the Monument Protection Department of the Tallinn City Planning Department, and has authored numerous publications on cultural heritage conservation. He signed his articles in the scientific collections of the Narva Museum, which are available in our library.

Very pleasant was a meeting with the author of one of the most important books on the history of Vyborg - Ulla-Riita Kauppi. Imagine she is also a specialist in fortification! Back in 1993, together with Russian art critic Mikhail Milchik, she wrote the book “Vyborg - the capital of Old Finland” (Viipuri - Vanhan Suomen pääkaupunki). Like many creative people, Ulla-Riita is not retired, idly by. This year she was a participant in the open air of the St. Petersburg watercolor society and her watercolors now adorn the exhibition, which traditionally completes the open-air events. At the opening of the exhibition in Vyborg Castle, October 19, 2019, we met, and Ulla-Riita Kauppi kindly agreed to give us an autograph.

And finally, an absentee meeting with the author. By mail, we received from Sergei Stanislavovich Nazin the album catalog he published with a circulation of only 50 copies:

Nazin S.S. Four wars. 1918-1944. Postcard Album catalog / Nazin S.S. - M.: 2020. - 334 p. : ill.

The publication is based on the personal collection of the author - a rare collection of military-themed postcards issued in the USSR, Finland, Germany, and Hungary during the indicated period. Among the nearly 400 postcards, there are 45 that went through the mail. These are not just postcards, but historical documents. The book is interesting not only to specialists and collectors, but also to history buffs, local historians. We thank the author for his attention to our museum and for the rare

publication, and readers are invited to the library to get acquainted with the news. Opening hours: Tue-Sat, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Fri, Mon - weekends.

East Bastion

In its current form, the object represents an earthen platform located on the outside of the main ramparts, up to 1.8 m high above the water level, preserving the outline of the irregular pentagon. The outer stone cladding was preserved on the southeastern face, on the other faces it was completely lost, the stones crumbled to the base of the platform, on the coastal strip. On both edges, at the junction of the side facets to the escarp wall of the main shaft, there are two stone stairs descending to the coastal strip. The parapet of the bastion is completely lost. In the gorge of the bastion, a stone volume rises with the lower march of the stone staircase leading to the second march, arranged according to the external sloping of the parapet of the main rampart.

Southern Bastion

In its present form, the object represents an earth platform, up to 1.5 m high above the water level, located on the eastern side of the main rampart, at the junction of its eastern and southeastern facades, preserving the outline of the pentagon. The back side of the platform is adjacent to the escarp wall of the main shaft. The object is in ruined condition, under the threat of complete destruction. The bastion was erected at the beginning of the XVII century. during the modernization of the fortifications of the castle for artillery defense, the result of which was the third external defensive belt of Fortress Island. Its construction was preceded by the reconstruction of the eastern front of the fortifications at the end of the 16th century, when a new defensive wall was built, to which the stone-brick building with a gateway and a bridge (or dam) connected the castle to the city joined from the outside. Later, this gateway complex was reinforced with a bastion advanced towards the fairway and flanking the bridge from the north.

Olaf Tower

The tower is named after St. Olav - one of the most revered Christian saints in Scandinavia. The tower stands on the highest site of Castle Island - a rocky ledge. The staircase leading from the courtyard to the tower appeared only at the very end of the 19th century, but the lower part of the tower itself (about 16 meters wide) remained practically in the same form as it was built in 1293 at the base of the castle. This is the tallest building in the city - its total height above sea level with the rock on which it stands is 75 meters. The walls are made of granite boulders and bricks. The final form of the tower of St. Olav acquired in the original floors of the tower of St. Olav were not preserved and were not restored. Now all its interior space is occupied by forests and a system by which visitors rise up.

Tower of Paradise

The Paradise Tower became the first round tower in the Vyborg Castle: earlier all the towers had a quadrangular shape (the central tower of St. Olaf at that time also had the shape of a tetrahedron). The construction of a tower of such a progressive form at that time was directly related to the development of firearms. in the niches of the loopholes of the Tower of Paradise were the images of the family emblems of the governors Eric Axelsson Tott and Sten Sture. The interiors of the tower were not preserved. The walls are made of granite boulders and blocks. The Paradise Tower is crowned with a dome resembling the completion of the main tower of St. Olav in shape.

Shoemaker's Tower

Once the Shoemaker’s tower was not connected to the castle building and played the role of the front line of defense on the east side, in addition, a shoe shop worked here. Due to the fact that the free-standing tower was quite far from the chambers, the unpleasant smell of the processed skin did not interfere too much with the inhabitants of the castle. After 1580, the tower was connected to the residential building, completed and equipped with a travel arch. The walls of the building are made of granite boulders and blocks, the eaves of the arched gates are made of brick. The main part of the Shoemaker’s tower at 6 m is closed by the embankment of the later bastion

Rampart

The ramparts were built in the XVI-XVII centuries., In several stages, with the modernization of the castle fortifications for fire defense and formed the third external defensive belt of the Fortress Island. At the same time, the walls and towers of the second defensive belt, the zwinger, erected in the 15th century, underwent a radical reconstruction. in part of the island. The towers of the pre-gestational period were lowered or dismantled. On the south coast, a new defensive line was attached to the wall of the zwinger, it was advanced forward, partly by pouring it into the bottom of the bay. The new artillery shaft reached a height of 6.5 m and was lined with masonry on the outside.

Eastern corps

This representative stone building was built in the 15th century. The internal facade, unlike the external, is made of brick and was rebuilt in 1764. Historians suggest that the building had a military and economic purpose, and in the Middle Ages it probably housed the stables of the Vyborg Castle. Today, the eastern building houses a museum library, storage facilities and exhibition halls. Fairs and historical reconstructions are often held on the site in front of the wall of the Eastern Corps.

Western corps

The main part of the building dates back. At one time it was the main living quarters of the complex, the residence of the Swedish governor and his family. Also, foreign ambassadors were received here, and from the 16th century, when the royal chambers were equipped here, the Swedish rulers themselves stopped in the building. In the middle of the 15th century, the building was added, and in 1588 the building was expanded due to the construction of a side wing. The walls of the building are lined with granite boulders and blocks. Cornices are made of masonry.

Porch with stairs under the Olaf Tower

In 1834 and 1856, fires in the tower led to the complete burnout of the building from the inside. For several decades the tower was abandoned. The last large-scale reconstruction of the tower, according to historical data, was carried out in 1891–1894 by the Russian Military Engineering Department under the leadership of E. Lezedov. The turret was domed, the ceilings were dismantled, a granite porch was built at the entrance to the turret, and a metal staircase inside the turret to climb to the observation deck. A two-march staircase of granite blocks leading from the courtyard to the tower.

Wine Vault

The wine cellar is located at the very base of St. Olav’s tower and is believed to date from the 15th century, and possibly even earlier. However, during the course of history this two-story building was rebuilt several times, so its appearance has changed a lot since then. As the name implies, the building was used to store wine, although, according to some information, there was a powder and household warehouses. One way or another, wine or anything else is no longer stored here: the building is reserved for museum exhibits. It is curious that this is the only room in the castle where the medieval vaulted ceilings and the massive tetrahedral column holding them are preserved.

Cellar in the Upper Courtyard

The cellar was built into the hillside, on which the main, earliest castle buildings rise. Initially, it was completely made in brick, including its only facade with a rectangular entrance, protruding above the side of the hill, and two side retaining walls located in front of it. In 1929, the facade was redesigned by the architect. The entrance aperture was converted into an arched, the facade was lined with masonry from granite blocks and boulders. Both retaining walls were laid again from granite boulders, in a new planned position, on new foundations.

Southwest wall

This wall was erected in the middle - the end of the 16th century (under the Swedish king Gustav Vasa) and belongs to the architectural monuments of the Renaissance. the wall is located in the southern part of Fortress Island; in the modern planning structure of the complex, it encloses the territory of the Lower Fortress and the Forge Yards from the south, it connects the southern building wing of the Lower Fortress Court and the western building of the upper castle square.At the junction of the lower granite and upper brickwork, you can see a kind of frieze from small arches. These arches originally served as mashikule, that is, mounted loopholes in the upper part of the wall. The walls are lined with granite boulders and blocks. Cornices are made of bricks. The arched entrance is also lined with bricks.

Initially, there were utility rooms, and only in the 19th century the building was converted into a prison for civilians (in one of its cells in 1826 the Decembrist was kept). At the beginning of the 20th century, the building housed the Vyborg spark station, where military equipment was made, and in 1920–30, when Vyborg again became a part of Finland for a short while, the building was used by the Finnish military department. After World War II, the house was renovated by the Soviet authorities, and the families of officers lived here. Today, the administration of the Vyborg Castle State Museum has settled here.

Blacksmith's yard

Adjacent to the tower of St. Olaf from the west The Forge Yard is the highest part of the Castle Island in relation to sea level. It was here that, during archaeological research, the earliest traces of a person’s stay on the island were discovered - fragments of weapons, jewelry and household items related to the Karelian culture of the 11th-13th centuries. After the foundation of the castle, residential buildings and craft workshops were erected on the territory of the Forge yard, including a forge that gave the name to this castle courtyard. All these structures were protected by a stone wall, fragments of which have survived to the present. Two stone staircases led to the Forge Courtyard - from the western and northern sides of the island.

The first building is a three-story stone building, in the plan it has the shape of an irregular pentagon, elongated along the north-south axis, with the western side curved outward. Inside, it is divided to the entire height by a transverse wall into two parts: northern (main volume) and southern, triangular in plan.

Reception:
+7 (813) 78-2-15-15,

Email:
[email protected]

Applications for interactive programs, questions about exhibitions and events
in Vyborg castle:
+7 931 281-13-78,

Schedule

Entrance to Castle Island is open daily from 9 to 19 hours.

The museum awaits guests from 10 to 18, the day off is Monday.

Museum ticket office is open from 9.50 to 17.15

The scientific library is open from 10 to 18 hours.

ATTENTION! From January 12, 2019, the observation deck of the Tower of St. Olav is open to visitors ONLY as part of organized groups (25 people).

Opening hours of the tower of the tower of St. Olaf Wed-Fri 12.00-16.00, Sat-Sun 11.00-17.00

A tour ticket can be bought at the box office of the castle.

Individual visit ticket - electronic ticket only on Timepad.

Entrance to Castle Island is free.

Children, students and retirees - benefits.

Buy something as a keepsake

Vyborg Castle was founded in 1293 during the third Swedish Crusade.

The castle is the main attraction of Vyborg, and its donjon, the tower of St. Olaf is a universally recognized symbol of the city.

Now the Vyborg Museum of Local Lore is located in the main building of the castle, and it has become the center of the cultural life of the city: concerts, festivals, and knightly tournaments are held here.

In 2015, the Vyborg Museum-Reserve was created, combining the castle and the medieval monuments of Vyborg. In the same year, reconstruction of the Vyborg castle began.

Since February 13, 2017, the St. Olav’s Tower has been closed for restoration.

From 12.01.2019, the observation deck of the Tower of St. Olav is open to the public!

One of the most visited expositions of the Vyborg United Museum-Reserve "Swedish Vyborg" now works in augmented reality mode on the Artefact platform - a project of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation.

Each exhibit keeps secrets of more than seven hundred years of Vyborg history. In the classic mode of the excursion, it is impossible to convey all the valuable and most interesting information about the city, which is among the top 10 most visited tourist places in the Leningrad Region. All you need to travel from 1293 to 2019 is your smartphone and Internet access.

How it works? Download the Artefact app from the online store. For users of the ios operating system - the App Store, for android users - Google Play (or Play market). Find the square AR sticker next to the exhibit and point the camera at the subject itself. The optics of your device recognizes it inside the exhibition. A virtual guide on the smartphone’s display will offer you an article about the exhibit and draw your attention to points of interest - the main platform tool that indicates the most important details and facts. Follow the path of the exhibit from the “sketch” to the “masterpiece” in the additional tab of the application, where the sketches and drawings “before” the restoration are uploaded. ” Tired of reading? An integrated audio guide - a professional announcer - will do it for you. Now you can easily manage the time spent in the museum yourself, plan an individual tour of the exhibition floors, in accordance with your preferences. Returned home, but questions remained? You can study the collections in the “Catalog” mode - the exhibition materials are downloaded to the device and remain in the smartphone’s memory.

The story is getting closer. And that is a fact. Arte fact.

The interactive space "Knight's Hall" and "Torture Chamber" changed the location.

Now you can feel like a knight or a captive in the Knight's House (the former Church of St. Hyacinth on Vodnaya Zastava Street, 4.

Working hours Mon-Tue 10-18, Thu-Sun 10-18 (Wednesday - day off).

#vyborgmuseum #vyborgcastle # Vyborg # Vyborg museum landscape # Vyborg museum # Vyborg castle # towerolaf



Dear friends and guests of the city!

Large-scale restoration work is underway on Castle Island.

In this regard, part of the territory is not accessible for visiting.

We apologize for the inconvenience. This is temporary)

Pin
Send
Share
Send